[va-richmond-general] Re: Henricus Saturday, June 11

  • From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:51:37 -0400

Excellent news on those prothonotaries!  (I'm a little biased, of course.)
Many of the prothonotary warblers that will be seen at Dutch Gap from now
through late July will be the young of this season.  They will not be easily
distinguishable from the adults when spotted in binoculars.  If a small
flock of prothonotaries is encountered, however, it is a very good bet that
the group is comprised primarily of mixed young drawn from various clutches,
with perhaps one or two likely-unrelated adults included.  The second round
of nesting is now well underway at Dutch Gap, with many additional eggs in
the nest boxes.  The number of prothonotaries present at Dutch Gap will
continue to increase for a while, though the singing of adult males will
shortly begin a noticeable decline.  Indeed, they are already less
territorial than they were three weeks ago.

Bob Reilly