[va-richmond-general] Henricus Park and Deep Bottom Park (correction)

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"Virginia Bird listserv" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 07:25:27 -0400

oops....
    I normally put my name, city/county, and e-mail address but for some reason
forgot this time. That would make it difficult for anyone to respond to any of
my questions! Here they are:

Michael Shapiro
Richmond/Henrico
sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

add N. Cardinal to the Deep Bottom list.

My Delorma map seems to have grown legs and wandered off, so I can't give
Delorma co-ordinates for either park. However, if you have or see an ADC street
map of Metro Richmond, they are both on there. Henricus Park is in Chesterfield
County, off I295 and Route 10 (Map 376). Deep Bottom Park is in Henrico County,
near the border of both Chesterfield and Charles City Counties. It's off Route
5 and Kingsland Road (Map 377) - not far from all the plantations. It has a
very short (50 yards? I'm not good at judging distances) trail, but often very
productive. The trail is also very narrow between a swamp and a creek, helping
to concentrate any birds that are on it. I once watched a Kingfisher there
catch a large crayfish and then bang it on a branch before consuming it. I have
seen eagles there, as well. Good place to put in a canoe.

Michael Shapiro
Henrico
sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx