[va-richmond-general] Re: Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area , 1/16/10

  • From: "Al & Linda Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:26:22 -0500

On a boat trip last Friday I noticed that there is a fairly large rookery of Great Blue Herons at Dutch Gap back on the old river channel on a couple of islands. I don't know if they can be seen from any of the trails. But the birds were there in force. Maybe 40-50 nests. Mostly on one small island, and a few on another one very near to the first one. It looked like they were in several sycamore trees. The other islands didn't have as many of those trees. They are not very acclimated to people and left the nests when we approached. So maybe that's where many of those birds have gone that used to nest at the marsh.

Al Warfield

Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2010 5:13 PM
Subject: [va-richmond-general] Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area , 1/16/10

I spent the morning today down at Dutch Gap. There was a bit of hazy overcast, but overall, it was a beautiful day, with temperatures hitting the mid-fifties by noontime. Dutch Gap was a popular spot, with several other Richmond area birders and groups from the Monticello Bird Club and the Williamsburg Bird Club making appearances. The birds were there in force, too.

Canada Geese were by far the most numerous waterfowl, but there were good numbers of Ring-necked Ducks and Mallards. Found in smaller numbers were American Wigeon, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Bufflehead, N. Shoveler, and N. Pintail. One Green-winged Teal and one American Black Duck were spotted by the Williamsburg group from the second observation platform. When I arrived at about 8;15, there were around 20 Great Blue Herons roosting in the sycamores across the marsh where the nests were last year - I hope this is a good sign that the rookery there will be active again this year. Two Great Egrets were also spotted. Good numbers of Killdeer and a small flock of about a dozen Wilson's Snipe were found on the lagoon mud flats behind the Visitor Center, with good viewing from the Twin Rock Spur.

Two adult Bald Eagles, a Red-tailed Hawk and an American Kestrel were spotted around the marsh. The Osprey that was sighted by Shirley Devan earlier in the week was not reported by anyone I talked to today.

Good birding,

Lewis

--------

Location:     Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area
Observation date:     1/16/10
Number of species:     51

Canada Goose     400
Wood Duck     18