[va-richmond-general] Help with Bird ID

  • From: "Diane Bumpass" <dbumpass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:18:39 -0500

Today in the James River Park I saw a bird who looked a lot like a wood peewee,
but my bird guide indicates that flycatchers aren't in this area in winter.  He
looked a bit larger than the flycatcher sizes listed in my guide, maybe as
large as a robin.  Many flycatchers seemed to have some yellow, but I saw no
yellow.  He had a beautiful, broad white breast and throat.  His bill was
narrow and dark.  The books indicated a light lower bill, but I wasn't able to
see any lighter color there.  His eyes were dark and I didn't see an eye ring.
His back and the top of his head were medium gray.  He had a long, narrow tail.
 I thought I saw horizontal stripes (a dark black stripe about two inches from
the bottom), but I'm not sure it wasn't a shadow.