[va-richmond-general] Re: Hawks

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <raincrow1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 21:36:47 -0500

I had a similar problem with grackles in August. In the past year, I have
made 790 grackle sightings, of which 533 occurred in August. On one day
alone, 70 grackles showed up in our back yard. They ate a lot of food, and
we had to supply suet every other day, but the other birds also came. We had
catbirds, brown thrashers, and two hummingbirds that came to our feeders,
with the bees being more of a hindrance than the grackles. I have not seen a
single grackle in my yard since September 12 (I haven't seen any robins
either), although I saw a flock of about 2-300 on a street about a mile away
a couple of weeks ago.

Jim Blowers

  _____