[va-richmond-general] Hawk question

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:25:32 -0400

    I discovered a hawk nest today at Camp Hilbert with three baby hawks in it,
but I'm not sure which species it is. We have both Red-tailed and
Red-shouldered at camp. The nest is high in a pine tree where three limbs come
together. I didn't get good looks, but the one who's head I saw still had the
white down feathers over most of him, but darker feathers on top of his (its)
head. I saw a side view of either the parent or another chick, and it had brown
wings with some white spots here and there. The beak of the one chick I was
able to get a good look at seemed quite large and it MIGHT have been yellowish
at the base, though I couldn't be sure. Based on the relative brightness of the
eyes and the size of the beak, I'm guessing it's a Red-TAILED Hawk, as opposed
to Red-SHOULDERED. Thoughts?

Michael
Short Pump