[va-richmond-general] Harrison Lake Fish Hatchery

  • From: Robert McLemore <grousek9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 01:57:06 -0700 (PDT)

We went to the Harrison Lake Fish Hatchery (CPL04 - Va Birding Trails) Sunday
to do a hike around their trail system and had a wonderful time. Started off
with two juvenile Bald Eagles scavenging fish from one of the drained hatching
ponds.

Great mix of birds. May have seen more, but I was herding three small boys
intent on skipping rocks, catching turtles & frogs and stick sword fighting...

Mourning doves - 12
Tree swallows - 15
Bald Eagle - 2
Crow - 6
Grackle - 8
Killdeer - 3
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Pheobee - 1
Canada geese - 2
Chickadee - 4
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher - 1
Yellow-throated warbler - 1
Cardinal - 10
Black vulture - 1
Hermit thrush - 1
Pileated woodpecker - 1
Great Blue Heron - 2
Hairy woodpecker - 1
Pine warbler - 1
Tufted titmouse - 2
Osprey - 1
Cedar waxwing - 1 (somehow this surprised me)
Bluebird - 1 (sitting on the Tahoe's roof rack when we returned)

And on the way out we saw a Mink working the shore of one of the ponds.

Quite an enjoyable walk before going to Grandma's.

Cheers,
Robert