[va-richmond-general] Harrison Lake: 10 March 2007

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:56:32 +0000

Took my favorite Spring-break Hokie to Harrison Lake last evening for a late afternoon/sunset paddle. The water level was quite high and the buds on the trees are swelling in anticipation of spring. Bird song was quiet from the put-in until we reached the farther reaches of the lake venturing more into the swamp where the birds were singing and flitting all about. Most noteworthy were over 15 Eastern Bluebirds flying and perching on the Gum trees with a flock of Cedar Waxwings. Pine warblers were trilling and an Osprey took flight over the main part of the lake. We spooked a small flock of Lesser Scaup as we left the sunlight and paddled into the shadows of the swamp. A beautiful sunset topped off the paddle and Canada Geese gave us a farewell fly-over as we tied the final half hitches on the boats.

Bird Highlights:

Osprey
Wood Duck
< Scaup