[va-richmond-general] Harris' sparrow still there 4/19

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 21:34:01 -0400

I decided to seek pollen-free air and had a great afternoon birding from
Staunton up to Harrisonburg.  The sparrow had been seen just before I
arrived around noonish, and it showed again around 12:35.  Then Mike Purdy
and Joseph Burkholder were both waiting with me for an hour or more for it
to come back.  Joseph's students have a birding event going on and had
missed the bird in the past few days, so maybe they will get a look at it
eventually.  The weather was great, there was no pollen, and host Larry
Carpenter is so nice.  With the good conversation while we waited it was a
great time.  Very pretty life bird for all of us.  I poked around at Lakes
Campbell and Shenandoah, and went by Leonard's Pond on the way back home.
The lakes were pretty quiet, although I did hear a mute swan vocalize for
the first time at Lake Campbell.  There were things like kestrels and a
common raven along the highways.  What I remember from the Carpenter home
and Leonard's Pond follows.  Mike, I did not write anything down, so if you
remember anything I left out please add it.  It was good to meet you in
person.

5946 W. Dry River Rd., Dayton, VA:

Harris' sparrow

White crowned sparrow