[va-richmond-general] Re: Hairy Woodpeckers

  • From: s.ridd@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:38:05 +0000

From "Viginia's Breeding Birds:An Atlas Workbook" printed in 1989 (page 108),
the safe dates to record breeding behavior for Hairy Woodpeckers is between
March 15th and August 31st. Copulation was recorded as a probable breeding
record, not a confirmed breeding record. The safe dates for each species was
decided by the originial Atlas committee, but most of the grunt work was done
by the late Fred Scott.

The earliest record of actual breeding that I have witnessed belonged to a rock
dove on Jan.2, 1987 in a gun turret at Fort Washington at Fort Washington
Maryland - but that's a Maryland record by several hundred feet. Oh well! Sue
From: "Bob Reilly" <rjreilly@xxxxxxx>