[va-richmond-general] Green-tailed Towhee

  • From: "Robert C. Perkins" <perkybear@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:13:13 -0500

This morning I was watching the goldfinches and white-throated sparrows in the shrubbery behind the apartment in which my wife and I live in Galax, VA (Carroll County half), when a larger bird that was olive on top, gray on the breast, with a bright rufous crown and a white throat appeared. I checked both the NG and Rising's _Sparrows of the United States and Canada_: green-tailed towhee. It's a western bird and an obvious stray, but worth reporting.

Bob
--
Bob Perkins
Historian and general outdoorsman