[va-richmond-general] Re: Grackle diet

  • From: Wendy Ealding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 20:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

 Thanks for all the suggestions about what my grackles might be eating.  Three
alternatives have been proposed

- Japanese beetle larvae

- June bug larvae

- cicada larvae

I'm inclined to think they are June bug larvae given their relatively large
size.  Plus my husband reminded me that we had large numbers of June bugs in
the area last year where the grackles are now feeding.

I don't think they are the 17 year cicadas because the piece of land, where our
house and grass is now, would have been heavily wooded 17 years ago.  The land
had to undergo major rearrangement to make a buildable site when the house was
built in 2006 and the cicada larvae would likely not have survived that.

Wendy Ealding
Powhatan County