[va-richmond-general] Golden-winged Warblers in Highland County

  • From: catbird329@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, shenvalbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 22:52:58 +0000 (UTC)

I went up to Bramble Hill, my place in Highland County above Blue Grass, on
Friday to open the house up for the summer, and as soon as I stepped out of the
car I heard the buzzy song of the Golden-winged Warbler.  Before the weekend
was over I determined that there were at least three males singing from
different areas of the property.  One was singing down below the barn where the
Brewster's nested last year, but I didn't walk down to see the bird, so don't
know if it was a hybrid or not.

Within five minutes of filling up the feeder there were goldfinches by the
dozen, soon joined by Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and all the other usual suspects.
 Hummingbirds were at the feeders within a few minutes of getting the sugar
water out as well.

As many of you know who come up to visit my place every year I have generally
an open door policy.  I love to share my birds with others.  This year,
however, I donated a week stay to each of two different environmental
organizations, so that I have the buyers coming up.  I do not know yet when
they will be there, but I don't want hordes of birders descending on the place
during those two weeks; after all, these people paid good money to be there.
So it is important that you check with me before you come for a visit.  I can
be reached at catbird329@xxxxxxxxxxx or heron329@xxxxxxxx

I was there once with friends for a Ladies Only Birding weekend, and the ladies
in question were out on the deck in their nighties have morning coffee when
about 20 cars came rolling up the driveway.  I didn't expect them and was not
really happy to see them.  Most of you have excellent manners and check with me
before you arrive, and I really appreciate those good birders who do that.

Hope to see many of you this spring!

Margaret O'Bryan