[va-richmond-general] Glaucous Gull, Ducks; City of Richmond.

  • From: Ellison Orcutt <mr.ellyo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:06:26 -0500

This afternoon I poked around Richmond to check in on the local birds.

The *Glaucous Gull* was easily found from the Browns Island overlook.  It
sat on a fallen trestle downstream from the overlook.  The last time I saw
this bird was on 2/7 and it was in almost the exact same spot today.  The
first time I saw it was on December 13 of last year.  Though I have also
seen it across the river along the floodwall, it really seems to favor this
spot below Browns Island.  Also of note, was the local *Peregrine
Falcon*sitting on top of the BB&T building.

Though I didn't go down to the heron rookery I could see from Brown's
Island that the trees were full of birds on nests.

I also checked Boat Lake in Byrd Park for its band of mistfit ducks.  The
group of 4 *Redheads* was still there, with the three females following the
drake around the lake.  Also stil there was the *Lesser Scaup* pair but now
another male has joined them....so three Scaup.  And a single female *Hooded
Merganser* to go along with the regular flock of Ring-necks.   Anyone
interested in getting great photos of these species has to visit this spot.
 The birds here are okay with the presence of people and thus are very easy
to approach.  Plus the lake is small and open....nowhere to hide.

Ended with a *Fox Sparrow *at the feeders in my backyard.

Good biring,

Ellison

-
Ellison Orcutt