[va-richmond-general] Glaucous Gull Continues; Flood Wall. Richmond, Va.

  • From: Ellison Orcutt <mr.ellyo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 02:02:25 -0500

I found a Juvenile Glaucous Gull for the second day (12/14/11)  in a row
along the Flood Wall in downtown richmond.  I made it to the wall at about
4:15pm on Wednesday to find the Glaucous Gull flying downstream right in
front of me.  At the same instant the small group of gulls that was
collected on the rocks below took flight.  I looked upstream to find an
Adult Bald Eagle.....In pursuit of the Glaucous Gull!!  It wasn't a high
speed chase but the Eagle was obviously curious about something.  The Eagle
was about 75 yards behind the Gull, and followed its moves.  The Gull
turned into the city and flew behind the twin buildings at which time the
Eagle broke off and headed downstream.  The Gull eventually returned to the
rocks below the Manchester Bridge.  It looked like the bird same bird I had
there the day before.  Curious to know if this is the same bird Arun Bose
found in Henrico earlier on Wednesday.

Good Birding!

--
Ellison Orcutt