[va-richmond-general] Ginter Botanical Garden TRIP

  • From: Tyler Turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richmond listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 12:32:06 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

5 birders attended this morning's trip to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens. The
highlight was a flock of 15 to 20 Cedar Waxwings in Summer plumage . Gray
Catbirds , a bird listed as in decline in Virginia, are quite abundant at the
Gardens this year. We even saw one catbird nest. Twice we obtained long term
views from 50 to 100 feet away of Great Blue Herons. 28  species were seen. One
sighting was of a female warbler ,in a heavily leafed tree branch,  that only
briefly presented an incomplete view of a part of her side and underside then
concealed herself but poked her  head up from the leaves, so I have not made a
positive id yet.

Sincerely,

Tyler Turpin

Location:     Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens
Observation date:     5/26/07
Number of species:     27

Canada Goose     X
Mallard     X