[va-richmond-general] Re: GREAT EGRET at Powhatan Lakes 7/8/08

  • From: Kirk Andrews <kirkaandrews@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wealding@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:00:59 -0700 (PDT)

I spotted a Great Egret on a Lousia County section of the Virginia Birding
Trail on 7/3/08.

I was birding Brackett's Farm
(http://www.dgif.state.va.us/vbwt/site.asp?trail=3&loop=PGS&site=PGS02) and
picked up 52 species from 7:30 - 12:00 that morning.

Highlights were the Egret (which was hanging out with a domesticated goose in
the farm's 20+ acre lake), a Baltimore Oriole flyby and a couple of close-up
looks at Prairie warblers on a stretch of road that was about 1/4 mile past the
farm entrance. Very low traffic area and the farm had a good variety of
habitat. George, the owner of Brackett's Farm, was very accommodating and said
that he hoped to have more visits from birders.