[va-richmond-general] Re: Fwd: [va-bird] Red Knot Article

  • From: Mary Davis <madanthony3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:15:49 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I wrote about the Red Knot to a delegate who is a friend of mine and also on the Ag Committee where the bill is originating.  He replied that from his research, the Delaware Bay is the source of the problem.  He said the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries have reduced horseshoe crab harvest by 75% since 1999 already and it would be hard for him to vote for anything as severe as a moratorium.

Any ideas on how to respond?  Can someone give me some good hard facts about the horseshoe crab's decline in the Chesapeake?

Thanks,
Mary Davis