[va-richmond-general] Re: Fwd: bird ID

  • From: "Todd Dixon" <todd.is.now@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:35:04 -0400

I agree with Mike Wilson on this one. It appears to me to be a 3rd year
Northern Gannet. I am not very well versed with sea birds, but Big Sibley
describes (pg 54) how Gannets can be distinguished from boobies by bill
structure and the extent to which the feathering extends above and below the
bill. The picture provided by Ruth looks (to me) just like the 3rd year
Northern Gannet, and the feathering above and below the bill of the bird in
the picture seems to extend well forward, with a pointed gape line, as Big
Sibley's describes for a Northern Gannet.

Thanks!

- Todd Dixon

P.S. Sorry for the new thread. I had "list subscription challenges" and only
had access to the original thread via RSS feed.