[va-richmond-general] Fwd: Rufous Hummingbird in Varina

  • From: Nelda Snyder <nsnyder03@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:59:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Nelda Snyder <nsnyder03@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Rufous Hummingbird in Varina
Date: January 15, 2012 8:51:35 PM EST
Cc: Joe Lively <joelively@xxxxxxx>, Marie L Scott/AC/VCU <mlscott@xxxxxxx>, Nicole Anderson Ellis <nicoleandersonellis@xxxxxxxxx>, Bruce Peterjohn <bpeterjohn@xxxxxxxx>

No more anguish, Joe!  Here's the news:  Bruce Peterjohn banded our little "butterball" hummer today and identified it as an immature male Rufous.  He's 4 grams and beginning his molt.  Bruce banded 3 other Rufous birds this weekend, one in Williamsburg and 2 in the Roanoke area.  That's a record 18 this year!  Here's a great photo from Bob Schamerhorn:  (We're still on the lookout for the other two hummers we saw last week in a yard shrub.)

From Nelda and Buz in Varina