[va-richmond-general] Re: Fwd: Can you help me identify a bird

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: robin.ruth@xxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:58:26 +0000

Sounds like a Red-winged Blackbird not showing all of its flashy epaulet. I have them in the backyard feeding on Captain Crunch and all they are showing is a sliver of washed out yellow. Wait a month 2 and they will be flashing red and yellow.

Julie K,
Chester
From: Ruth Robin <robin.ruth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Would anyone have any ideas on this? (Question was sent to RAS website)
Robin

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert Parsons" <rtparsons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: January 28, 2007 2:17:38 PM EST
Subject: Can you help me identify a bird

Two days ago we had a flock of robins in the front yard along with a flock of totally black birds including their bill EXCEPT while they were on the ground you could see a white strip at the top of their folded wings. They were slightly smaller than the robins and a bit sleeker in looks.

The closest I can come from our bird book is a lark bunting ? BUT they evidently are not in our area. Wish I had a picture for you.

Terri