[va-richmond-general] Fwd: Bird Pic

  • From: Ruth Robin <robin.ruth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:23:00 -0500

Here is an interesting photo that Mary A. asked me to post to the listserv.  It comes from Jeff Trollinger.  He says:

"The bird picture I sent out earlier was seen in Hanover County over the weekend.  I did receive some additional info from the person who took the pic and it is pasted here:

  'The bird picture is causing a bit of a stir here as well.   If it helps, I did get to see him from behind.   His back was a solid color until you get to his tail feathers.   There are two black bands; one wider than the other with wider one closer to the base of the tail.  The smaller band is about half way down the tail and the tips of the tail feathers were white.  The wings did not cross over the back, nor did they extend to the end of this tail, but stopped just a bit past the base of this tail.'"

Mary Arginiteanu says that Larry thinks it is an adult Goshawk; since it looks somewhat small it is possibly a male.

Any other ideas on the identity of this bird?
Robin