[va-richmond-general] Re: Fw: River lovers- help save James River Park!

  • From: "IE Ries" <FEATHERCHASER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:58:56 -0500

  I have to agree with this, and point to the debacle of Chesterfield County
GIVING away park land at the former Ironbridge Park (150 wooded acres,
teaming with life) to a so-called "non-profit."

  Richmond First Tee was never registered as a non-profit and they profitted
immensely by the subsequent logging.  They also grossly misrepresented the
cost of water and energy costs to county residents, who now pays those
bills.   They also claimed this would be a thoroughly-utilized area.  Wrong
again.

  Public lands, especially park lands, are priceless  and should not be
haphazardly discarded or transfered for sale to entities and handed out to
special interests, be they masquerading as "non-profits" who cater to
special interests of the few, or to private interests too stingy to pay the
actual going rate for their own land.

  Irene Ries