[va-richmond-general] Fw: Migration question

  • From: "Robin Ruth" <robin.ruth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:45:04 -0700

Would anyone have any ideas on this?
----- Original Message -----
From: Moore
To: audubon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 4:42 PM
Subject: Migration question

If possible, I would appreciate an answer to a question, or direction to where
I could find the information.

This evening, August 7, 2005 around 7:00 pm, we observed thousands of birds
flying north, then north-east.  This lasted for over 15 minutes.  The main
group (thousands of birds) took about 8 minutes to fly over, then the
stragglers took up the remaining time.  I do not know the species, I could only
tell that they were very dark - I could not see any color.  The size was
smaller than a crow, but bigger than a wren.  The song we heard was only a
single "Cha" sound.  I realize that this is not much detail, but we have never
seen this many birds flying over in August.  We live in Halifax, VA, about 30
miles east of Danville, 50 miles north of Durham, and 115 miles south-west of
Richmond.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me.

Thank you,
Bobbi Moore
Halifax, VA