[va-richmond-general] Re: Fw: General Richmond Audubon Society Inquiry

  • From: Penny S Reynolds/FS/VCU <psreynolds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:33:27 -0400

Yes there have been several examples of interspecific feeding of nestlings, although they are not commonly documented. The most bizarre case was that of a Northern cardinal feeding goldfish!! It was thought that it had recently lost its young, and when it came to a pond to drink it was met by surface gaping fish, so it followed its instinct to stuff worms into any open mouth. It would be very valuable if Alex documents as as much as possible ( timing and frequency of visits, order of visits, which bird at what time, etc.) and takes photos. This could be written up and submitted to an ornithological journal such as Journal of Ornithology or the Wilson Bulletin.

Penny S Reynolds, PhD
Research Assistant Professor
Department of Emergency Medicine
B3-039 Sanger Hall
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center
1101 East Marshall St
Richmond VA 23298
USA

Office:   804 828 4911