[va-richmond-general] From Audubon Advisory-Go 'Dark' for Birds

  • From: s.ridd@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:34:12 +0000

Go Dark for Birds and Global Warming
Earth Hour, which originated last year in Sydney, Australia, is now a global event. For one hour on Saturday, March 29, everyone is asked to turn off their lights from 8-9PM local time. Audubon is already doing its part through our Lights Out programs. Lights Out encourages building owners to turn off their lights to help birds avoid building collisions during migration, which account for millions of birds deaths each year. Saving energy and reducing greenhouse gas pollution responsible for global warming is icing on the cake.

Cities, communities, neighborhoods, and families around the world will join together in literally turning off the lights for one hour to raise awareness about global warming and to press for action and solutions now. As part of this campaign, lights will be turned off at iconi c buildings and national landmarks around the world, and local businesses and restaurants are also encouraged to turn off their lights.

So, light a few candles and enjoy an hour without electric lights. For more information on how you can help us win the fight to reduce global warming pollution, contact audubonaction@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Celebrate the Environment
As we enter the spring season, there are a number of conservation-themed days of importance. These celebrations are a good opportunities to get out and talk to people about the importance of conservation, birds and their habitat, and actions people can take to get involved with Audubon in our efforts to make the world a better place. Keep these dates in mind for outreach activities. Please feel free to contact us for more ideas and materials for your outreach activities at audubonaction@xxxxxxxxxxx

   § April 22nd - Earth Day
   § April 25th - Arbor Day
   § April 26th - John James Audubon's Birthday
   § May 10th - International Migratory Bird Day
   § May 16th - Endangered Species Day