[va-richmond-general] Fredericksburg south to Warsaw

  • From: "Lee Adams" <ladams42@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "VA Bird" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 22:28:17 -0500

Yesterday while driving south on Rt. 17 I saw Turkey Vultures in a field near New Post. In a wet area across from the road to Four Winds were Wood Ducks, Canada Geese and a Great Blue Heron. Tundra Swans fed and rested in fields in Caroline and Essex counties. A Red-tailed Hawk sat very close to the roadside, probably on a food item. A dozen Bald Eagles were seen including three sitting on top of muskrat huts in the Rappahannock River marsh east of the Downing bridge. Two Wild Turkeys fed in the edge of the first field on the right after exiting the marsh. A Northern Harrier was hunting in a field near Wilna, and I was surprised the gate was closed to the NWR. A pair of Horned Larks flew close to the road to Cat Point Creek near Naylor's Beach. A Pileated Woodpecker swooped across the road into trees in front of me. Three Black Vultures hopped clumsily off the carrion in a ditch. On the trip home another Northern Harrier was hunting the wide median of Rt. 17 north of Tappahannock.

Take care,

Lee Loudenslager Adams
Fredericksburg, VA
ladams42@xxxxxxx