[va-richmond-general] First Landing State Park

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 23:25:50 +0000

Helped out at the banding station yesterday at First Landing State Park. It is a very interesting place with a good variety of habitats which should be prime in the next couple weeks for the migration madness. Northern Parula , Blue-grey Gnatcatchers, Pine Warblers and Brown-headed Nuthatches were singing. I was able to band a beautiful male Parula. Many winter residents are still there: Junco, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker as well as a fair number of Yellow-rumps.

A pair of Osprey are occupying a nest just behind the station. We also had a fly-over of a Mature Bald Eagle. About a 2 hour drive from Richmond-check it out.

Julie Kacmarcik
Chester