[va-richmond-general] Re: Finch and Humming Bird Feeder

  • From: "Al & Linda Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ajsanford@xxxxxxxxx>, "RAS" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:56:56 -0400

Amanda,

That would depend on what kind of feeder you have. If you have one with small
holes and the birds have to feed from the top through the holes, no way any
finch could feed. If it's the type that drips I suppose one could. If you give
them a way they will probably feed on almost anything. The flat feeders that
are suspended from a central rod and have 4-5 small holes for the birds to
access the liquid inside will work well. Some have perches too, which some
hummers use and others don't. There are perchers and non-perchers. Some may
even be undecided, but they definitely have personalities.

Ours also has a water reservoir built in, and titmice and chickadees like to
drink water from that. But they can't get to the sugar water. The holes are too
small. I think that's a good thing. Hummers are special.

Good luck!

Al Warfield