[va-richmond-general] Eastern Shore 10/25-26/08, snow bunting

  • From: "Janice Frye" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:06:38 -0400

Though I missed the Fisherman Island trip with Richmond birders, it was a
most excellent weekend on the peninsula.  I explored a few places that I
wanted to look at closer after the Kiptopeke Challenge and tried to remember
where to turn for locations that my sleep-deprived brain had not stored very
well.  Even on gray Saturday it was beautiful out there and the real rain
held off until the very end of the day when the light was nearly gone.
Temps ranged from 3-4 layers and flannel-lined jeans to shorts and short
sleeves :-) and the wind was quite variable (really fierce that night).  I
was aiming for home after running into the Richmond group at Willis Wharf
when I decided to check out their plush cabin at Kiptopeke SP and ended up
staying.  Who knew there were so many hospitable gourmet cooks in RAS?  Wow,
you're AWESOME!  The cabin rocks, too.  The next morning I went to wish for
loons at the fishing pier before going to the banding station.  Complimented
a fisherman on 2 extremely good dogs and while we chatted I looked to my
left and there was a snow bunting inhaling massive quantities of grass seed
under the wooden fence-there followed quite a bit of camera with dead
batteries, no bird book on me, bird flew away and had to be relocated, cell
phones not answered, driving up to the banding station, calling a birder in
NoVA about how rare this bird might be for the area (not unheard of, but
still a great bird).  Eventually about 20 or 30 people showed up (life bird
for 8 that I know of, self included) and we found 2 of the birds.  One was a
very cooperative subject and allowed lots of photos.  Jethro thinks perhaps
they could winter there, so keep a lookout for future postings.  The
behavior is mouse-like (even the fisherman thought that when it showed up
before sunrise and began foraging).  You apparently use the term mousing the
way you would say fly-catching or hawking.  First sightings for the weekend
follow, with others if I remember them.  Some of these places are on the
birding trail, others are just roads on the map, usually east of Rt.
600/Seaside.  Skipped Island 1 going and coming back (there is some
interesting talk about lifetime passes for 2/3/4-anyone able to clarify
yet?).  61 sp. and a couple of mystery birds.

10/25/08

Rt. 13 near Fisherman Isl.

N. Harrier-everywhere all weekend

Gr. Bl.-backed gull

Osprey

BV-many, also a roost at Oyster/out Sunnyside Rd.

GB Heron

Herring gull

Mockhorn/GATR (anyone know what GATR stands for?)-north of ESNWR down Jones
Cove Rd.

Am. crow

Fish crow

Winter wren

Carolina wren

E. towhee

Swamp sparrow

Yellow-rumped warbler (just a couple, several hundred times, everywhere)

N. flicker-most stops or roads

Gray catbird

Tree swallows-several places, possibly 1 bank swallow--too short a look

Am. goldfinch

Magotha Rd.-not much 10/26 with a convoy of cars, although 2 adult bald
eagles were very upset about something

Killdeer

Br. Headed cowbird-huge flocks with starlings, no yellow heads detected  :-)

E. starling

Gr. Egret

Belted kingfisher-any stop with water

Va. rail-heard, listened to Birding by Ear to confirm

TV-same as BV

Sharp-shinned hawk

N. Mocker

N. Cardinal
NO EURASIAN COLLARED DOVES ANYWHERE

RC kinglet-also Eyre Hall

Red-headed WP

Red-bellied WP

Red-winged BB

Clapper rail-same as Va. rail

DC cormorant-KSP, CBBT, etc.

Martin's Landing Rd./Harmony Rd.

Mourning dove

Car. Chickadee

Rt. 600/Seaside

Am. kestrel 2-another on Indiantown Rd. 10/26

E. bluebird

E. meadowlark-heard and seen numerous times, Allen :-)

BB Plover 2

Northhampton Landfill

Am. black duck

Mallard

Peregrine falcon-soaring in a thermal

Canada goose

Seaview Farm-CES06 on the birding trail, not birdy today but very generous
during the KC, nice place with a short boardwalk

RT hawk

Imm. Bald eagle

Willis Wharf

Willet

Greater Yellowlegs

Lesser  Yellowlegs-both vocals heard

Snowy egret

Pigeons

Eyre Hall-west of 13 opposite the landfill turn-off, no wood duck in Eyre
Hall Circle pond, rain hit as dusk approached so I skipped the big pond and
wetland

Am. Robin

10/26/08

Kiptopeke State Park