[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap, Sat. 2/17/07

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 17:51:04 -0500

After the official trip to James River NWR for the Great Backyard Bird Count this morning, I stopped off at Dutch Gap for a "quick" peek at the marsh at around 11:45. Things were hopping there, so the "quick" stop stretched to an hour... There was a good variety of ducks, including four Pintails, a few American Wigeon, and one female Lesser Scaup in amongst the Shovelers, Ring-necked Ducks, Mallards, Gadwall, and plentiful Wood Ducks. One lone female Bufflehead over on the river rounded out the ducks for the day. It was a good day for sparrows, especially in the tangles just past the second observation platform. I found White-throated, Field, Song, Swamp, and Savannah Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos. Also not a bad day for raptors, with three Kestrels hanging out on various power lines, and a Cooper's Hawk out at the point. Complete list for the visit is below.

--
Lewis Barnett -- Chair, Dept. of Math & CS, U. of Richmond, VA 23173
              -- lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx | lbarnett@xxxxxxx

        Canada Goose - 17
        Wood Duck - 178 Confirmed
        Gadwall - 19