[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap Bird Banding Demonstration (of Migration!) 25 Sept. 2010

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 19:24:09 +0000 (UTC)

 Today was probably our best bird banding demonstration ever as we netted 17 different species and a total of 42 birds, There was never a lull in the activity starting with a push of American Redstarts as early as 6:40. Migration is definitely in full swing as evidenced by the diversity of species and the variety of warblers. We had a very attentive group that asked great questions and got to release many birds. Thanks to Mark Battista from Chesterfield Parks and Recreation for organizing this outing. Our "fattest" birds of the day were netted just after the group left..2 American Robins tipping the scale at over 76 grams each.

Thanks to all the MAPS' volunteers who rolled out well before sunrise to make a memorable day for many budding naturalists that attended. The list of today's banding is below followed by a few images of the day.

Julie Kacmarcik

Chester

American Redstart-10

Hooded Warbler

Black and White Warbler

Red-eyed Vireo -3

Red-Bellied Woodpecker

Ovenbird

Northern Parula

Indigo Bunting-2

Magnolia Warbler-3

White-eyed Vireo

Brown Thrasher- 2 (1 released unbanded)

Grey Catbird (escaped)

Northern Waterthrush-2

American Robin-2

Northern Cardinal- 1 and 1 recap and 3 released unbanded

Veery

Carolina Wren- 5 recaps