[va-richmond-general] Dutch Gap Banding Demo 8 Oct 2011 Chester, VA

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Richmond Birds <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 01:42:36 +0000 (UTC)

Couldn't have asked for better weather or birds for our annual bird banding demo at Dutch Cap Conservation Area for Chesterfield Parks and Rec. We opened nets just before sunrise under clear, cool skies. Bird song and activity increased more and more as the sun rose higher and higher. We had 2 very eager groups of observers who were guided to the banding station by park Naturalist, Mark Battista. We had a first for the DGap station today, netting and banding not just 1, but 2 Northern Flickers. Amazing bird with beautiful plumage. We netted a few neotropical migrants on their way to points south, as well as netting some of our year-round residents.

There was a large turn-out of children today which was wonderful. Many of the kids were able to release birds and they all had up close and personal looks at all the birds. Somehow we didn't take many photo's today...we were just excited to be together as a group and to share the experience with folks new to banding.

As always, today would not be possible without the dedication of the great group of MAPS volunteers who always respond to the call.

Thanks to all of you. Much appreciation to Chesterfield Parks and Rec. especially Mark for their continued support of our projects.

Below is a list of our birds netted this morning and one photo of the Northern Flicker.

Enjoy October, doesn't get much better than this.

Julie Kacmarcik

Chester

Brown Thrasher 3

Northern Flicker 2

Northern Cardinal 6, (2 recaps)

Magnolia Warbler 1

Indigo Bunting 1

Carolina Wren 1

Eastern Tufted Titmouse 1

Black-throated Blue Warbler 2 (1 male/1 female)

Carolina Chickadee 1 recap