[va-richmond-general] Ducks along the James west of Richmond

  • From: Wendy Ealding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 12:31:13 -0500

Having seen an unusual number of ducks along the James in western Chesterfield
yesterday, I wondered how much further upstream they were occurring.? I checked
out a couple of spots along the James in Powhatan this morning.

First I tried Watkins Landing, this is the first public river access west of
288, and the easternmost in Powhatan County. I saw 26 Hooded Mergansers
upstream from the boat ramp.? Now I have to say that I haven't birded this spot
before so, I don't know if that is unusual or not.? The boat ramp area has
recently been renovated (last time we were here about two years ago it was
pretty run down and trashy) and is probably worth checking out in future.?

The other place I tried was Maidens Landing, further west, where 522 crosses
the James.? No ducks, just Canada Geese.

Wendy Ealding
Powhatan County