[va-richmond-general] Duck show on the James R.

  • From: "Bedell, Paul" <pbedell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:07:58 +0000

I stopped at the Wetlands this morning before it started raining.  There were a
truly remarkable number of ducks, the flock stretching continuously from the
golf course property all the way upriver to the open area.  And there were lots
of waterfowl flying about, and the ones on the river were diving constantly.  I
did a crude estimate of Ring-necked Ducks by counting by twos until I got to
100, then extrapolating the size of that group to what I could see stretched
out along the river.  I estimated 1000!  I also counted about 100 Lesser Scaup,
10 Canvasbacks, and 2 Redheads.  Also, several hundred Bufflehead were present.

Paul BedellYou are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send
email to