[va-richmond-general] Re: Deterring Grackles

  • From: Robert Coles <digitalnature@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 21:04:51 -0400

Our Grackles arrived early this year, around the first of March. My approach is to switch to a caged sunflower feeder for the smaller birds and switch to safflower seed in the big sunflower feeder (which has two screens one for sunflower type seed and the other for safflower type seed). The Cardinals will eat the safflower and a couple of the Grackles will try, but you get ride of most of the Grackles. The thissel does not attract them and they do not seem to like the large hard Woodpecker suit, but will quickly eat regular suit. Also, if you put seed on the ground they will take over. They do not leave our area until mid to late June.

Good Luck
Bob
Robert Coles
digitalnature@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Apr 3, 2007, at 7:22 PM, heron329@xxxxxxx wrote:

The grackles are smarter than that, they will soon figure out that the optical illusion is just that, and not a threat to them. Don't waste your money. I think the grackles will soon disperse to breed, anyway.

Margaret