[va-richmond-general] Re: Destruction of Vultures in Virginia

  • From: Larry R Lynch <birder6@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:00:38 -0400

Ann ... and all,

Ann,  thank you for the update on the return of the vultures.  It makes
one wonder how many thousands of vultures will have to be destroyed
before everyone will realize that the vulures will keep coming back? I
believe that it would be cheaper and more effective to buy some tarps to
cover the cars & trucks with at the boat ramp. If I wanted to park down
there, I would bring my own.

The vultures clean up carion from our highways, riverfronts, and parks.
Does it make sense to destroy unpaid labor?  I thought that budgets were
tight and that the President and Governor were looking for more cuts...
not adding more clean up crews.

I also have to wonder why Turkey Vultures are included in the plan.  Is
it because some do not know the difference between the species?
I am not aware of any Turkey Vultures being involved in any of the "death
penalty crimes" that have been mentioned.

It is too bad that mankind's destruction of wetlands, woodlands, and
other natural habitats does not get as much of a response as a vulture's
destruction of a windshield wiper.

                Larry