[va-richmond-general] Re: Declining birds

  • From: Kathy Freise <ksfreise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:40:23 -0500

It will be interesting to see how the Christmas Bird Counts compare to
prior years.

We still have activity at our feeders and have a fair number of junkos and
white throated sparrows, but surprisingly few goldfinches. The winter
birds did arrive a few weeks later than usual too.

Kathy Freise
Beaverdam
On Dec 14, 2015 8:36 AM, "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*We have had the same kind of results. The suet stays packed in the suet
logs for a month or more, there are few birds if the weather is good. The
only times we have seen “normal” levels is when it’s very cold or raining.
Linda thinks it’s because of the good warm weather – there are lots of bugs
and other things for them without coming to feeders. But it includes House
Finches – they usually feed at the tube feeders even if there’s food out
there in the wild. This fall the tube feeders have gone down very slowly. I
think something is going on this year. Maybe it’s related to the killing of
mosquitos. There is a real push now. More poison, fewer birds. Sounds
familiar, doesn’t it?*

*Al*