[va-richmond-general] Re: Declining birds

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nsnyder03@xxxxxxxxx>, <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 08:36:37 -0500

We have had the same kind of results. The suet stays packed in the suet logs
for a month or more, there are few birds if the weather is good. The only times
we have seen “normal” levels is when it’s very cold or raining. Linda thinks
it’s because of the good warm weather – there are lots of bugs and other things
for them without coming to feeders. But it includes House Finches – they
usually feed at the tube feeders even if there’s food out there in the wild.
This fall the tube feeders have gone down very slowly. I think something is
going on this year. Maybe it’s related to the killing of mosquitos. There is a
real push now. More poison, fewer birds. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

Al