[va-richmond-general] Re: DG 7/19 (don't read if you don't like banding codes)

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:31:15 +0000

Just think of the codes as Birding Suduko for your brain-kind of a
puzzle-keeping you sharp. If you can't figure out the alpha codes  just check
this site http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/manual/speclist.htm
 and it will help. I understand the frustration in not knowing the
shorthand-it's just faster sometimes.

JUKA

From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I probably haven?t been to Dutch Gap since last summer.  The new bridge sounded
interesting and I needed to get out.  I did not expect the number of species I
found since I started late, it?s late July, it was hot as blazes, and I was
tired.  Turned out to be a nice trip in spite of 2 rain episodes, and the new,
improved version of the park ain?t bad (ain?t got a boardwalk, but it sounds
like that still might happen.  Someday.).  Some regular residents were AWOL,
but the list still totaled 56.  I can think of at least 6 or 7 more that are
probably around there somewhere.  The bridge was nice, there are new or
old-but-well-cleared trails (so many I did not have time or energy to follow
them all), and I ran out of time to check out the bluff area or give the marsh
a second look on the way out.  I decided to post in what I think are correct
banding codes.  It is time consuming initially to look them up for every bird,
but if we could all learn them it would simplify life.  Typin
 g is n
ot that great for the upper extremity anyway!  In parentheses you will see the
corrections needed when I checked my guess at
www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/manual/sname.htm.  After leaving Dutch Gap in the rain, I
went north to Shockoe Bottom to see what the PUMAs at Dutch Gap were chattering
about as they gathered and flew away.  Got there in time to add a PEFA and a
RTHA to my list for the day, but still no AMKE.  The birds and the people seem
to double every few days down there.  It should be really festive on the 26th.

DCCO
GBHE
GREG
GRHE
TUVU

CAGO
WODU
OSPR
BAEA-imm., low flyover in the cypress trees.
COHA

RSHA
KILL
MODO
YBCU
CHSW

RTHU-many, perching, everywhere!  Lovely!
BEKI-likes the new bridge, I see.
RBWP (RBWO)
DOWP (DOWO)
HAWP (HAWO)

PIWP (PIWO)
EWPE (EAWP)
ACFL
EAPH
GCFL

EAKI
YTVI
REVI
BLJA
AMCR

FICR
PUMA
TRSW (TRES, really not to be confused with TRUS)
NRSW (NRWS)
BASW (it?s BARS, not to be confused with BANS.  Both would give BASW using the
first 2 letters of each word.)

CACH-there were some really BIG ones in a cypress tree with a DOWO?.
TUTI (it?s ETTI.  Time to buy a new guide?)
CAWR (it?s CARW, not to be confused with CACW, though you wouldn?t default to
CACW in Richmond anyway if you were writing out CAWR)
BGGN
EABL

AMRO
NOMO
BRTH-one with a huge green caterpillar in the trail.
EUST
YEWA (YWAR, not to be confused with YWAG.  Seems they totally avoid any
combination that could be accidentally concocted for more than one bird.)

BWWA
PRWA-duh!  Beautiful and numerous thanks to ?you know who?.  (It?s actually
PROW, not to be confused with PRAW)
COYE
SCTA-?chick perrr!?
SOSP

NOCA
BLGR
INBU
RWBB (it?s RWBL, who knew?)
COGR

AMGO

Let?s see?13 corrections out of 59 codes attempted.  That wasn?t so painful.
The 4 WPs were wrong from hearing it so much and completely ignoring the rules.
 And I actually knew CARW from Julie K?s banding posts, but left it incorrect
to figure out why when I looked it up.  Now if I can just get my brain to quit
trying to pronounce all these acronyms!  If you see any other errors please let
me know.  No complaints about using codes will be acknowledged?I TOLD you not
to read it! J   Al Warfield summarizes the coding rules in a post 5/18/08 (RE:
WEVI nest destroyed).

Most amusing sight was a CARW carrying food into a WODU box.  There were more
HAWOs than DOWOs compared to past visits?or maybe I am better at distinguishing
the two these days?  There was a rather placid rat snake between markers 29 and
30, and a Royal Walnut moth near the visitors center.  Both are particular
favorites of mine.  If you haven?t been to Dutch Gap lately, check it out!  It
was especially nice that mowing and trail clearing has been very well done
lately--did not see any ticks at all.  Don?t forget the PUMA festival on the
26th!

Jan