[va-richmond-general] DG 7/19 (don't read if you don't like banding codes)

  • From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:20:11 -0400

I probably haven't been to Dutch Gap since last summer.  The new bridge
sounded interesting and I needed to get out.  I did not expect the number of
species I found since I started late, it's late July, it was hot as blazes,
and I was tired.  Turned out to be a nice trip in spite of 2 rain episodes,
and the new, improved version of the park ain't bad (ain't got a boardwalk,
but it sounds like that still might happen.  Someday.).  Some regular
residents were AWOL, but the list still totaled 56.  I can think of at least
6 or 7 more that are probably around there somewhere.  The bridge was nice,
there are new or old-but-well-cleared trails (so many I did not have time or
energy to follow them all), and I ran out of time to check out the bluff
area or give the marsh a second look on the way out.  I decided to post in
what I think are correct banding codes.  It is time consuming initially to
look them up for every bird, but if we could all learn them it would
simplify life.  Typing is not that great for the upper extremity anyway!  In
parentheses you will see the corrections needed when I checked my guess at
www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/manual/sname.htm.  After leaving Dutch Gap in the
rain, I went north to Shockoe Bottom to see what the PUMAs at Dutch Gap were
chattering about as they gathered and flew away.  Got there in time to add a
PEFA and a RTHA to my list for the day, but still no AMKE.  The birds and
the people seem to double every few days down there.  It should be really
festive on the 26th.

DCCO

GBHE

GREG

GRHE

TUVU

CAGO

WODU

OSPR

BAEA-imm., low flyover in the cypress trees.

COHA

RSHA

KILL

MODO

YBCU

CHSW

RTHU-many, perching, everywhere!  Lovely!

BEKI-likes the new bridge, I see.

RBWP (RBWO)

DOWP (DOWO)

HAWP (HAWO)

PIWP (PIWO)

EWPE (EAWP)

ACFL

EAPH

GCFL

EAKI

YTVI

REVI

BLJA

AMCR

FICR

PUMA

TRSW (TRES, really not to be confused with TRUS)

NRSW (NRWS)

BASW (it's BARS, not to be confused with BANS.  Both would give BASW using
the first 2 letters of each word.)

CACH-there were some really BIG ones in a cypress tree with a DOWO..

TUTI (it's ETTI.  Time to buy a new guide?)

CAWR (it's CARW, not to be confused with CACW, though you wouldn't default
to CACW in Richmond anyway if you were writing out CAWR)

BGGN

EABL

AMRO

NOMO

BRTH-one with a huge green caterpillar in the trail.

EUST

YEWA (YWAR, not to be confused with YWAG.  Seems they totally avoid any
combination that could be accidentally concocted for more than one bird.)

BWWA

PRWA-duh!  Beautiful and numerous thanks to "you know who".  (It's actually
PROW, not to be confused with PRAW)

COYE

SCTA-"chick perrr!"

SOSP

NOCA

BLGR

INBU

RWBB (it's RWBL, who knew?)

COGR

AMGO

Let's see-13 corrections out of 59 codes attempted.  That wasn't so painful.
The 4 WPs were wrong from hearing it so much and completely ignoring the
rules.  And I actually knew CARW from Julie K's banding posts, but left it
incorrect to figure out why when I looked it up.  Now if I can just get my
brain to quit trying to pronounce all these acronyms!  If you see any other
errors please let me know.  No complaints about using codes will be
acknowledged-I TOLD you not to read it! :-)   Al Warfield summarizes the
coding rules in a post 5/18/08 (RE: WEVI nest destroyed).

Most amusing sight was a CARW carrying food into a WODU box.  There were
more HAWOs than DOWOs compared to past visits-or maybe I am better at
distinguishing the two these days?  There was a rather placid rat snake
between markers 29 and 30, and a Royal Walnut moth near the visitors center.
Both are particular favorites of mine.  If you haven't been to Dutch Gap
lately, check it out!  It was especially nice that mowing and trail clearing
has been very well done lately--did not see any ticks at all.  Don't forget
the PUMA festival on the 26th!

Jan