[va-richmond-general] Curles Neck Farm- Saturday 15 June

  • From: Kacmarcik <kacmarcik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:59:08 -0400

A beautiful morning started at sunrise for 9 of us as we headed out on the
vanishing* landscape of Curles Neck
 Farm. 58 species (+/- a few)  were seen/heard depending on who's list you
check. The first bird heard before I even got both legs out of the car was
Grasshopper Sparrow and was a life bird for at least 2 trip members. The day
was mostly overcast with brief periods of sun and cool breezes. Here are the
highlights:

Great Egret
American Black Duck
Osprey
Bald Eagle (several and varying degrees of maturity)
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk ;-)
Northern Bobwhite
Dunlin
Barred Owl
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Phoebe
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Yellow Warbler
Prairie
Prothonotary
Common yellow throat
Yellow-breasted Chat
Grasshopper Sparrow
Blue Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Meadowlark
...and the usual expected species.

*Sadly, oh so sadly, the barns and most likely the silos are in the process
of being demolished for the purpose of mining gravel. The lay of the land
has a Craney Island-esque feel with roads being closed and layout ever
changing. Tragically and perhaps symbolically, a dead Barn Owl was found by
3 of us outside the #6 silo at the end of the trip. The bird was in
basically "good" condition, i.e. no bug infestation or wasting. The cause of
death is unknown.

Thanks to those who turned out.

Julie Kacmarcik
Chester