[va-richmond-general] Cranberry Glade Field Trip

  • From: "Jerry Uhlman" <flyways@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <VA-Richmond-General@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bt8x@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:54:36 -0400

For folks who plan to travel to West Virginia for our Cranberry Glade Botanical
Area field trip, the agenda for Saturday and Sunday is as follows:

Saturday--  Meet at the Cranberry Glade Visitor Center at 8:30 am.  It's
located about 10 miles southwest of Marlinton, WV on route 39, a turn-off of US
219 out of Marlinton at Mill Point.  The visitor center is on the left and
clearly marked.  We'll explore the boardwalk through the peatbogs and a trail
through the forest to a usually-productive meadow that had once been the site
of a prison many years ago.  Bring goodies for lunch and we'll find a picnic
site along the way.  In the afternoon, we'll explore several trails at Watoga
State Park, south of Marlinton.  The John and Carolyn Coe will host a potluck
meal on Saturday evening at their cabin in Watoga State Park and all are
invited to enjoy some companionship and frivolity.  Bring something to share
food-wise, and feel free to BYOB if you're so inclined.  The Coe's cabin number
will be revealed on Saturday morning!

Sunday--  We'll travel south of Marlinton on US route 219 to Beartown State
Park to view Beartown Rocks and bird the park's trails.  Around noon, we'll
head for home: continue down route 219 to join I-64 for the return.

Jerry Uhlman
flyways@xxxxxxxxx