[va-richmond-general] Cornell Lab eNews: great videos

  • From: "birder6@xxxxxxxx" <birder6@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:18:18 GMT

Hi all -

Some of you might enjoy the great short videos that Cornell Lab has produced on
a variety of subjects. I did... and wanted to share the link with you. You can
start by clicking on the Singing Sandpipers or Magnificent Frigatebirds link in
the attached note and then review the list of other videos.  I hope this goes
through to everyone. But if not, just visit the Cornell Lab site and look for
the videos.
Best wishes,    Larry Lynch
Click here if you're not seeing a formatted message and photos

 Cornell Lab eNews
July 1, 2010
Singing Sandpipers?
After watching shorebirds at your local beach, you might not guess that these
birds are accomplished singers on their breeding grounds in the arctic tundra.
Ben Clock takes you there to listen to the Semipalmated Sandpiper. Watch the
video and share it with friends.

Up Close: Magnificent FrigatebirdsExperience the bizarre mating displays of
Magnificent Frigatebirds in our new video with Martha Fischer in
Florida&rsquo;s Dry Tortugas National Park. Watch the 2.5-minute video.

Streaked Spiderhunter, Thailand, by Mike (NO captive birds) in ThailandTry
eBird from Anywhere in the World!For the first time, eBird now accepts
sightings for any of the world&rsquo;s 10,005 bird species, plus subspecies,
hybrids, etc. We invite you to try our global eBird beta version by entering
your checklist today, no matter where in the world you&rsquo;re watching birds.
Read more.

While walking in a cemetery, Ian Taschner
noticed this nest with three robin eggs on a statue.
Which Photo Has the Funkiest Nest?Browse the images in our 2010 Funky Nest
contest, sponsored by Kaytee, or send in your own by July 15. Which nest do you
think is the most unusual, funny, or surprising? See photos.

Voices of Sapsucker WoodsThis digital re-release celebrates the 35 most common
breeding birds in Sapsucker Woods Sanctuary, home of the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology. Listen to samples or purchase the MP3 audio guide with photos.
Listen to the sounds.

Cedar Waxwings by Sparkle1103
Enrich Your Understanding of Birds with Our Online CourseBirds are fascinating
to watch--and even more so when you understand the reasons behind their
behaviors. Register today for our next online courses beginning August 4 and
September 15. Learn more.

Piping Plover by Olivia Bouler
Young Artist Helps Gulf Coast BirdsEleven-year-old Olivia Bouler, an aspiring
ornithologist and artist, wept when she heard about the oil spill along the
Gulf Coast, a place where she spent many vacations with her grandparents in
Louisiana and Alabama. She decided to give away bird drawings to those who
donated to wildlife recovery efforts. Her efforts have gained national
attention and raised more than $155,000 for organizations helping birds in the
Gulf region. She says she dreams of going to Cornell to study ornithology some
day. Olivia is this month&rsquo;s featured artist on our All About Birds
website. See Olivia&rsquo;s gallery
Gulf Coast Updates&bull; For slideshows and bird news from the Louisiana coast,
visit our Round Robin blog.

Read Update: Oil Reaches Bird Rookery on Island of Mangroves
Watch Video: Birds of Grand Terre, Louisiana, After Oil Washes Ashore

View Slideshow: Breton Island, Home of 100,000 Seabirds

Read Update: Searching for Plover Nests in the Sand

&bull; Scientists need your help to find and monitor nests, including in Gulf
Coast states. Toxins in the environment often have their earliest and most
profound influences on reproduction. It is possible that birds passing through
the Gulf region could carry contamination with them, creating an "oil shadow"
of declines in bird reproduction hundreds of miles from the coast. Our
NestWatch team asks for your help in monitoring Tree Swallows, Northern
Cardinals, Purple Martins, and other species in your area. Learn more.

&bull; View our new maps showing eBird reports with oil spill locations and
forecasts. We have received more than 207,000 reports of birds from Gulf Coast
states since May 4, including 12 species observed with oiled plumage. These
data will be used to help in immediate and long-term recovery efforts.Thanks to
all of you who have been reporting your observations to eBird.
&bull; A heartfelt thanks to all our members and supporters for your
contributions toward our work on the Gulf Coast. Your generosity helps our
efforts to ensure the long-term recovery and health of wildlife affected by the
oil spill. Click here to donate.
Images, top to bottom: Roseate Spoonbill chicks with oiled plumage, Brown
Pelicans, and Wilson's Plover nest by Benjamin M. Clock/Cornell Lab. Tree
Swallow by Mary Fran.

Your support of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology helps us solve critical problems
facing birds and other wildlife by using the best science and technology--and
by inspiring people of all ages and backgrounds to care about and protect the
planet. Please  join as a member or  make a donation to support our mission.

Cornell Lab of Ornithology
159 Sapsucker Woods Rd, Ithaca NY 14850
Questions or Comments?
Call us toll-free at (800) 843-BIRD (2473)
Privacy Policy
Unsubscribe