[va-richmond-general] Re: Cormorants on lakes

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <snyderfolks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Al Warfield'" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <acdbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:55:22 -0400

Here is a list of banding codes on the Internet:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/MANUAL/aspeclst.htm

There are a few quirks in it - for example, it doesn't give the
Yellow-rumped Warbler, but it does give Audubon and Myrtle Warblers. A DOVE
is not a dove but a dovekie. But it looks like it lists all the species we
see around here.

I suppose codes are like codes for astronomers (Ori for Orion, Cep for
Cepheus), 10 codes for police and other public workers (a 10-46 on Smith
Street), prescription codes (like the Rx), element codes like Hg for
chemists, mathematical abbreviations such as sin and cos and so forth. I say
codes are OK here if they are first mentioned with their meaning.

Jim Blowers

  _____

From: Jim Blowers <mailto:jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Jim Blowers <mailto:jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: tyler  turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Mr. Barnett
> Thank you for reporting the Cormorants at U of R lake. They made a year
round
> presence at Canterbury lake off Pump Road starting 3 or 4 years
ago.Cormorants
> have made a great comeback in less than 20 years. In the early 1990's they
were
> only a few at the Jamestown Ferry dock. They are now year round even on
Lake
> Robinson in Rockbridge County (the county around Lexington VA) I have
started to
> keep track of the ponds and lakes a mile or more from the rivers that do
not
> connect to a  river  or only connect to a river by a mile or more of creek
and
> contain Cormorants. I have the following locations so far by personal
> observation or listserve reports:What other inland locations can we add?
>
> Rockwood Park            Chesterfield
> Swift Creek Reservoir    Chesterfield
> Harrison Lake            Charles City
> Canterbury Lake           Henrico
> Tuckahoe Creek Route 6 vicinity  Goochland/Henrico
> Curles Neck inland former gravel mine ponds Henrico
> Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens  Henrico
> U  of R lake                     Henrico
> Byrd Park Lakes          Richmond
>

> You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe, send email to
> va-richmond-general-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the
Subject