[va-richmond-general] Common nighthawks, 2 barred owlets, 4 WEVI eggs--the Wetlands

  • From: "JANICE FRYE" <jjfdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'va-bird'" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 23:34:09 -0400

Just a quick visit while the weather was quiet yielded not 1, but 2 owlets
practicing their climbing and flapping skills just up from where the
pipeline intersects the Pony Pasture side of the creek.  They used the
begging whine in response to minimal hooting.  First time I have heard that
sound in awhile.  Still haven't found young on the other side of the park,
but a recent visit did include finding a pair of adults who seemed to be
very busy making contact and preparing to hunt.  I have seen one adult here
hunt about 20 feet from my car when they had hungry young to contend with.
Almost got clipped by that particular individual as it carried a frog to the
owlet.  The number of WEVI eggs had increased from 3 to 4.  She seems a
little skittish today.  Don't know how she manages with all the dogs and the
nest so close to the ground.  Do male and female incubate?  Maybe they are
switching off some of the times when the nest is briefly empty?  There are
more common nighthawks in the meadow area tonight.  Counting them is
difficult-when it disappears over the treetops does it come back or is it a
new bird?  At least 5 visible at one time.   Acadian flycatchers heard in
several different locations.  Haven't heard the GHOW hoot in awhile.  Hope
we get some rain in there tonight-even the boardwalk area is very dried out
today.

Jan