[va-richmond-general] Re: Collective Experience: Travel Advice

  • From: ARD1319@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:52:54 EDT

I suggest Death Valley.  Not a lot of birds, but stunning and usually  cheap
to fly to Las Vegas where you can rent a car and (quickly) head out.

Another one of my favorites is Anza Borrego (sp) State Park in  California
almost due west of San Diego. I fly to Palm Springs and the  drive is ~3 hours.

You pass the Salton Sea on the way down.   If I  recall properly it's
largest state park in the country, a beautiful  place with real palm oasis, and
good
birds.  There's a small funky town (in  a good way), Borrego Springs that's a
good place to stay; or at least it used to  be.

If you go fly to Tucson check out the Desert Museum (west  about 40 minutes)
and a wonderfully restored mission church called the White  Dove, Mission San
Xavier Del Bac. Also not far from Ramsey Cannon there's Fort  Huachuca  a good
birding place (see ABA guide for the area).  If  you go, be sure to visit the
museum.  The fort is still an active military  base and has an interesting
history.

And of course, there's always the Outer Banks.  Good time to see  swans, etc.

Now I have the traveling bug.  Enjoy!  Adrianne