[va-richmond-general] Coffee for birders ... and non-birders

  • From: Larry R Lynch <birder6@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Richmond-General@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:36:47 -0500

Season's greetings!

While trying to come up with Christmas presents for folks who have
everything, you might want to consider giving shade grown coffee. You
will also help to save critical habitat for birds. Two of our local
birding stores carries shade grown coffee.  Here are their locations and
phone numbers:

Bird Watchers
4636 Commonwealth Centre Parkway (off of Hull Street)
763-3890

Wild Birds Unlimited
9778 Midlothian Turnpike
323-0353

Betty Ament sent me the attached link to a very interesting article on
shade grown coffee.  It is from the National Wildlife Federation's
newsletter, and you might find it to be very informative as well.

"The Coffee Connection -- The decisions Americans make every day about
the kind of coffee they consume can indirectly affect the status of
thousands of acres of critical habitat for migratory birds. To find out
how you can make a positive difference by drinking bird-friendly coffee,
click here."

Here is the long, web address in case the link did not work:
http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/article.cfm?articleId=709&issueId=58&;
passthrough=newsletter

Larry Lynch