[va-richmond-general] Chippokes and ferry March 10th

  • From: tyler turpin <tylerturpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: richmond listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:32:08 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I did my planning trip today for  the trip that I will lead on March 24th to
:Sunken Meadows ,Chippokes State Park, Jamestown Ferry .

Each channel marker  and specialy built Osprey nesting platform in the James
River near Jamestown Island that Osprey  are allowed to nest on has an Osprey
nest. There is also an Osprey nest on easternmostonly used for protection
piling  at the ferry landing on the South Bank of the James River.  According
to the ferry captains on the trip over and back all of the winter waterfowl
have left the area and the migrants that went farther South   for the winter
have not arrived on their journies yet. I did see two waterfowl on the return
trip.

Richmond Audubon Society trip to :Chippokes State Park  ,Sunken Meadows , and
ferry
Join Tyler Turpin for a trip targeting Spring  northward migration of Shorebirds
and  waterfowl  as well as the arrival of our native, in Spring and Summer ,
Spotted
Sandpipers.

Trip will depart from Hardees on Route 10 in Hopewell on Saturday March 24th at
7:30 A.M. We will proceed East on Route 10 .State park Fee of $2.00 per vehicle
up to 6 people per vehicle applies.
First  stop will be the  famous Sunken Meadows site. In early April of 2005,
when
I was still working in Hopewell, on one of my after work visits to Sunken
Meadows,
I saw about 70+  Spotted Sandpipers in both ponds.

After visiting Sunken Meadows we will proceed to Chippokes State Park. Group
will
take the  trail behind the Visitor Center  that leads to the area where a creek
flows into James River . We will spend about 45 minutes there and then the trip
ends. Lunch is on your own , or  you can join your trip leader for lunch and
some
more birding. The trip leader plans to eat lunch at Surry House ,which changed
management
in 2006 , and return to Richmond via the ferry and I-64 . The ferry  is a great
birding platform.

Call Tyler Turpin at 270-6921 to register

Directions  to Sunken Meadows :
. From I-95 and I-295, take Route 10 towards Hopewell. At the intersection of SR
10 and SR 31, continue straight onto Rt. 626/ Oakwood Drive. Oakwood Drive
becomes
Lebanon Road. Travel 3.0 miles and turn right onto Beaverdam Road (still Rt.
626).
Continue for 4.5 miles and turn right onto Sunken Meadow Road/Rt. 609. The
northern
site: Turn right on Rt. 609 and continue 2.1 miles to the bridge crossing the
northern
end of the pond opposite Sunny Meadow Beach Estates. Parking is limited. The
southern
site: Retrace your steps to Rt. 626 and Rt. 609, turn right on Rt. 626, and
continue
1.2 miles to a causeway crossing the south end of the pond

To Chippokes State Park from Sunken Meadows:

Turn left at the intersection of routes
10 and 31 (this continues on Route 10). Turn right at the blinking light. Turn
left
at Route 634 (Alliance Road), and the park entrance is four miles on the left.

SPECIES SEEN AT CHIPPOKES 03/10/2007

Bald Eagle

American Crow

Fish Crow

Double Crested Cormorant

Rigng Billed Gull

Herring Gull

Black Backed Gull

Osprey

SPECIES SEEN AT JAMESTOWN FERRY 03/10/07

American Crow

Fish Crow

Double Crested Cormorant

Rigng Billed Gull