[va-richmond-general] Chimney Swift roost site

  • From: "Paul Bedell" <pbedell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond birding" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:07:20 -0400

The past few evenings while going to the Carpenter Center (CCPA) at 6th & Grace
in downtown Richmond, has been witness to a very large concentration of Chimney
Swifts.  They are roosting in a chimney behind the facade of the CCPA at 6th
and Grace.  While going to rehearsal, I and others have been fascinated by
watching the huge flocks and seeing them drop into this chimney.  I have not
been able to spend the time getting a count, but I estimate several thousand
swifts are using this one chimney.  They have been using this same spot for a
number of years.
The map on the Center for Cons. Biology doesn't indicate this roost.
see http://fsweb.wm.edu/ccb/opportunities/swiftwatch/swiftwatch_products.htm

Paul Bedell